We're in the process of localizing http://social.clipflair.net
Using the following scheme (with separate master pages to implement it):
1) some pages have a language selector and will be localized
However, I noticed that WebParts and menu doesn't fallback to English version if you haven't put any content to them. Would be much easier to localize then, especially if there are images (HTML markup) in the webparts, you'd copy-paste the localized text paragraphs etc. where approporiate). Especially with the menu, it is a pain to replicate the menu structure.
Have added suggestion at other post to do import/export via XML or something or be able to replicate the menu from the default language in the UI. In fact at every webpart it would be nice to be able to select from the edit bar to bring in the current default language content of that webpart (having an option there to always show the English content would be also nice [have an optional fixed language property for each webpart])
This (long, sorry) post though is about a strange bug I see with the language selector (we use a skinned version of the one in MonoX). If I put the home page in edit mode, then I paste in HTML at each webpart from the English page that I have in another tab, and press SAVE (need to switch one webpart to design mode to be able to press that save btw in IE10 mode [in IE11 mode I think the bar doen't appear at html mode]), then after SAVE is done I see at the language bar another language than the one I was editing (say espagnol instead of eureska AND IT IS SHOWN TWO TIMES, with the 2nd one not clickable). Pressing F5 fixes this
attaching screenshots (compare the two, one is before pressing F5 after the edit save and another is after F5 where all is looking fine again)
</br>btw, in IE11 in this forum, under each attached image now that I'm typing I see a half-cropped button (one doesn't understand what it says) that shows a garbage can when I move the mouse over it)